01234 34 34 40
Email info@letsmovebedford.co.uk

Find a House or Flat to Rent

It is essential that the electrical features, the gas, the plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems are all safe and in good working order

Featured Property

Flats and Houses to Rent in Bedford

If you're looking for the perfect flat or house to rent in Bedford, you can always search from our database of available properties to rent. It's quick and easy, and not only will you get all the relevant information you need about the features and details of the property, but you can also scan through the pictures to give you an even closer look at the house.

After this, once you've found a few properties that you like, just send us a quick message using the very simple contact form that you'll find on each property's individual page, and we'll take care of the rest. We'll call you back to make all the necessary arrangements, and give you any additional information you might want.

Landlords Information

The Initial Stages

General Condition of the Property

Most importantly, when renting out a property or house it is essential that the electrical features, the gas, the plumbing, waste, central heating and hot water systems are all safe and in good working order. Also, interior decorations should be in good condition and preferably plain, light and neutral as this is more likely to appeal to potential tenants, rather than extreme or strong colours.

Preparing the Property for Tenants

When letting out a property or house to potential tenants, it is important that the tenants feel comfortable in their temporary home. Clearly, then, it seems that a well presented and maintained property in a good decorative order will help this, whilst also achieving a higher rental figure. Tenants are also more inclined to treat such a property with greater respect, meaning that the condition of the property does not diminish as it may otherwise.

Furnishing of the Property

Your property can be let fully furnished, part furnished or unfurnished. Different options will be more appropriate than others depending on the type of property and local market conditions. We will be pleased to give you advice on whether to furnish or not, and to what extent. As a minimum you will need to provide decent quality carpets, curtains and light fittings. Remember that there will be wear and tear on the property and any items provided.

Mortgage Arrangements for Landlords

If your property is mortgaged, you should obtain your mortgagee's written consent to the letting. They may require additional clauses in the tenancy agreement of which you must inform us.


If you are a leaseholder, you should check the terms of your lease, and obtain any necessary written consent before letting. Insurance

You should ensure that you are suitably covered for letting under both your buildings and contents insurance. Failure to inform your insurers may invalidate your policies. We can provide information on Landlords Legal Protection, Rent Guarantee Cover and Landlords Contents and Buildings Insurance if required. Bills and regular outgoings.

Other Considerations & Regulation

When resident in the UK, it is entirely the Landlords responsibility to inform the Revenue & Customs of rental income received, and to pay any tax due. Where the Landlord is resident outside the UK during a tenancy, he will require an exemption certificate from the Revenue & Customs before he can receive rental balances without deduction of tax. Where we are managing the property we will provide advice and assistance on applying for such exemption.

The Inventory

The following requirements are the responsibility of the owner (Landlord). Where we are managing the property they are also our responsibility. Therefore where we are managing we will ensure compliance, any costs of which will be the responsibility of the landlord.


Annual safety check: Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 all gas appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety at least every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer. They must be maintained in a safe condition at all times, records kept for at least 2 years, and a copy of the safety certificate given to each new tenant before their tenancy commences.


There are several regulations relating to electrical installations, equipment and appliance safety, and these affect landlords and their agents in that they are 'supplying in the course of business'. They include the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the Plugs and Sockets Regulations 1994, the 2005 Building Regulation - 'Part P, and British Standard BS1363 relating to plugs and sockets. Although with tenanted property there is currently no legal requirement for an electrical safety certificate (except in the case of all HMOs) it is now widely accepted in the letting industry that the only safe way to ensure safety, and to avoid the risk of being accused of neglecting your 'duty of care', is to arrange such an inspection and certificate.


The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 & 1993) provide that specified items supplied in the course of letting property must meet minimum fire resistance standards. The regulations apply to all upholstered furniture, beds, headboards and mattresses, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, nursery furniture, garden furniture suitable for use in a dwelling, scatter cushions, pillows and non-original covers for furniture. They do not apply to antique furniture or furniture made before 1950, and certain other items. Non-compliant items must be removed before a tenancy commences.